Monday, September 10, 2012

A Second Cup

Tomorrow night I'm trying to check out this coffee shop, A 2nd Cup. A quick mention on NPR tipped me off to the place, and I figured if a coffee shop values NPR enough to advertise on our local station, it can't be bad (self-professed NPR junkie, that I am). But it exists for an even higher calling than public radio.



I know I'm super naive, but I had no idea sex trafficking happened in America, much less in Houston. Come to find out, Houston is a hub for human trafficking with is proximity to the Mexican border and as a major port city. A 2nd Cup exists to raise awareness and fund after-care programs for survivors - housing, mentoring, tutoring, and job skills. Their incubator coffee shop has been open since June and has raised $40,000 of their $220,000 start up capital goal. My latte and one bag of grounds (and maybe a stinkin' awesome logo mug... and pin... and tote?) might not help much, but I'm really curious to see if this is something I could advocate. Find them on Facebook.


See the city map taped out on the wall of trafficking hot spots? I live DIRECTLY under that horizontal yellow strip on the west side. It's happening all around me. How long will I be blind?

No comments:

Post a Comment