Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Meaning of Margins



Each Sunday in Princeton, Han and I reviewed English vocabulary. She'd bring her list of uncertain words culled from articles or TV of the week. I'd muddle through simplifying dictionary definitions.

She'd always start writing a word outside the margin line. Maybe to conserve space? She wasn't compartmentalizing word from meaning, she just acted like the line didn't exist. Whatever, it irked me. Often I'd swallow the sentence, "Don't you know to leave the margin empty? Write inside the lines! They keep your paper clutter-free!"

This morning I visited a church that sang in Spanish and English. The line "to the outcast and the weary" became something like, "a los marginados y los cansados." To the marginalized.

My new goal: live life across margins.

No comments:

Post a Comment